Ideas to Celebrate the 4th of July during the Pandemic
Independence Day is almost here, and most of us are wondering how to celebrate the 4th of July while social distancing.
Usually, the 4th of July calls for family and friends to gather together, spending time brunching, grilling, enjoying outdoor activities, and shooting off fireworks.
But this year, everything is unusual and while we are already canceling some of the normal festivities, there’s no reason to cancel all of our 4th of July celebrations.
Regardless of what’s going on, We can all use a little extra shot of happiness these days, don’t you think? And, there’s no reason people (small groups) can’t get together, as long as social distancing is practiced.
I’ve put together a list of fun activities that you can do while practicing social distancing this 4th, along with some yummy food and fashion – yes, fashion – suggestions!
1. Start with a Patriotic Dessert
The 4th of July celebrations can never be complete without a red, white, and blue dessert. I love whipping up a delicious bowl of trifle, and if you’d prefer to keep things distant, you can also take this same dessert and divide it up into individual serving sizes in stemless wine glasses.
I call this particular trifle recipe my Easy as Pie Trifle because I barely have to do anything, it looks like it took hours to prepare, and it is so delicious! Realistically, trifle desserts can be as decadent or health conscience as you want them to be, and either way, they taste fantastic! I’m sharing my semi-low calorie version here, made with sugar-free whipped topping and instant sugar-free pudding. I also use organic products whenever possible.
- 12 – 15 oz angel food cake (buy a store-bought one to make it easy, and cut it up into small cubes) I also often make this with a pound cake – Sara Lee or any pound cake, and cut it up into small cubes, as well)
- 2 pints strawberries, sliced
- 2 pints blueberries
- 8 cups fat-free milk (or any milk)
- 1 – 4 oz package vanilla sugar-free instant pudding (you can change it up with different pudding flavors)
- 12 oz any frozen whipped topping. I use sugar-free Cool Whip
- Whisk together the instant pudding mix and milk.
- Let it stand a few minutes until the pudding begins to set – about five minutes.
- When it’s ready, fold the pudding into the Cool Whip and blend together.
- Start your layers, and use a spatula to smooth each layer as needed.
- First layer angel food cake cubes, then a layer of strawberries, then a layer of pudding/whipped topping mix. Then blueberries.
- Repeat once or twice more, depending on how thick you make your layers. Your last (top) layer should be a mix of blueberries and strawberries.
- Refrigerate about an hour or two before serving.
Another option for this trifle is to keep the Cool Whip and the pudding as separate layers and forgo blending them together. Sometimes I will layer with one of pudding, one of Cool Whip, and alternate, and end with a top layer of Cool Whip, with the blueberries and strawberries, sprinkled on top. Go wild! You can’t go wrong no matter what you create. It all tastes wonderful and I promise no leftovers!
2. Burger Brunch or Dinner
What to serve for brunch or dinner?
Burgers, of course! After all, burgers are one of America’s favorite comfort food items.
And if you’re watching calories, go for my favorite buns from Smart Baking Company. These keto-friendly, gluten-free buns are the best companions for foodies who just cannot say ‘no’ to hamburgers on buns. (Use GWENLIVESWELL to save 10% off your order). Accompany with your favorite sides.
When your meal is ready, serve it up on a decked-out table. This stars and stripes table cloth is on sale right now. Use the code FRIENDS to get an extra 30% off of the discounted price.
Pair it with these Americana watercolor napkins by Pottery Barn available for only $20.
3. The Ultimate Backyard Party
If there is one thing that has changed during the lockdown, it’s our newfound appreciation for our backyard. It is safe and perfect for social distancing. While most summer events have been canceled, there’s no reason you can’t create your own 4th of July events and celebrate in your own backyard space.
- If you have small children, how about camping in your backyard?
- You can also put up a screen and watch a patriotic movie to fully celebrate Independence Day – fun for kids and grown-ups!
- To get the perfect patriotic feel (and avoid doing dishes), get these super cute disposable plates from Target.
4. Splash it out with a Pool Party
If you have a pool, the best way to celebrate the 4th of July is to throw a pool party – that is, if the weather is cooperating.
Check out this adorable Independence Day inspired float.
And so the host of the party doesn’t feel left out, get him these swim shorts. I love this pair!
And if it Rains on the Fourth…
So it rains! Have some socially distant indoor games ready, watch a patriotic movie on Netflix, and just enjoy being together for the holiday.
However you decide to celebrate the United States of America’s birthday, just remember to be mindful and aware of your surroundings, even with loved ones.
- Dressing up for something gets you in the mood to celebrate, so whatever you choose, get the right accessories to bring out the vibe.
- Don’t let the Coronavirus pandemic keep you from enjoying your 4th of July celebrations.
- Don’t forget to practice social distancing. Put sanitizers within easy reach, remember to wash hands, maintain distancing as much as you can, and, when needed, don’t forget to wear your 4th of July mask.
Several of my blogger friends have also shared their ideas for fantastic Fourth of July celebrations. Check them out!
Michele – www.soooboca.com
I’d also like to take this opportunity to thank you for following along on Instagram and Facebook. And thanks for following on Pinterest, too. I love it when you share my pins because it helps me grow on that platform as well. Pinterest is still a work in progress for me, but I’ll get there!
You Might Also Like These Posts